Monday, October 03, 2011

Anglican Chant XVI: Psalm 138 Westminster Abbey - YouTube

Psalm 138 Westminster Abbey - YouTube

"Psalm 138 sung by Westminster Abbey Choir at the visit of the Pope, September 2010." (Which composer? Wait for my sources to comment!)



From the Coverdale Psalter:
Psalm 138. Confitebor tibi
I WILL give thanks unto thee, O Lord, with my whole heart : even before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
2. I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy Name, because of thy loving-kindness and truth : for thou hast magnified thy Name and thy word above all things.
3. When I called upon thee, thou heardest me : and enduedst my soul with much strength.
4. All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord : for they have heard the words of thy mouth.
5. Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the Lord : that great is the glory of the Lord.
6. For though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly : as for the proud, he beholdeth them afar off.
7. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, yet shalt thou refresh me : thou shalt stretch forth thy hand upon the furiousness of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.
8. The lord shall make good his loving-kindness toward me : yea, thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever; despise not then the works of thine own hands.


Gorgeous! HT Sed Angli.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total shot in the dark: Bairstow?

bls said...

Don't know! At first, I thought it might have been written by the guy who posted it at YouTube - he seems to be a contemporary composer, and posts a number of his own compositions.

But I don't think that's it, in fact, because I think he'd make a much bigger deal out of it. It would be a huge honor to have your music sung by that choir on such an occasion! So you might very well be right.

Several people who really know their chant come around occasionally, and I'm hoping one of them can spot it!

bls said...

A friend, Scott, writest that:

"I believe it is a double chant in D by Henry George Ley (1887-1962), MA, DMus (Oxon), HonFRCO; Organist of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, 1909-26; University Choragus, Oxford, 1923-26; Precentor of Eton College, 1926-45. Thanks to John Scott for his New St Paul's Cathedral Psalter and its indexes and information."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...