Friday, May 25, 2012

Magnificat from the Gloucester Service (Herbert Howells)




My soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
For he hath regarded : the lowliness of his handmaiden.
For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his Name.
And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
He hath shewed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed for ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how all of Howell's music sounds desert-y and dry. I know he was greatly troubled by the loss of his son, so sometimes I think I can hear his depression coloring (or greying) the music. I find it quite beautiful.

My goodness, thanks for the reminder of this! This Gloria Patri is one of my favorites.

bls said...

I love Howells, too....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...