Friday, June 15, 2012

Anglican Chant XIX: Psalm 57

From the YouTube page:

Anglican Chant Setting Sung during Choral Evensong at Trinity Cathedral (Episcopal) in Cleveland, Ohio May 19, 2010 Trinity Chamber Singers. Horst Buchholz, Choirmaster Nicole Keller, Organist.  May 19, 2010.

This choir is good - I like them more each time I hear them - and this is a really nice setting. I can't figure out why nobody ever includes the chant composer, though! It's bizarre. Can anybody help?  [EDIT:  Scott, as usual, can:  "They're chanting from the Anglican Chant Psalter published by Church Hymnal Corp., edited by Alec Wyton. The chant is No. 126 in that book, a single chant in D major by Frederick A. Gore Ouseley (1825-1889). They're starting with v. 6 of the psalm; the first five verses of the psalm are set to a D minor version of the same chant (same contours to the lines, but altered to make it minor). Something similar is done with the other setting for this psalm, two versions of a single chant by Purcell, a minor version and its parallel major." Thanks again, Scott!]



NOT the Coverdale Psalter this time, but beautiful anyway! They're singing verses 6-11 only fomr the Psalm; here's the whole thing, though:

Psalm 57 Miserere mei, Deus

1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful, for I have taken refuge in you; *
in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge until this time of trouble has gone by.

2 I will call upon the Most High God, *
the God who maintains my cause.

3 He will send from heaven and save me; he will confound those who trample upon me; *
God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.

4 I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people; *
their teeth are spears and arrows, their tongue a sharp sword.

5 They have laid a net for my feet, and I am bowed low; *
they have dug a pit before me, but have fallen into it themselves.

6 Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.

7 My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed; *
I will sing and make melody.

8 Wake up, my spirit; awake, lute and harp; *
I myself will waken the dawn.

9 I will confess you among the peoples, O LORD; *
I will sing praise to you among the nations.

10 For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens, *
and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

11 Exalt yourself above the heavens, O God, *
and your glory over all the earth.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...